Login

LoginRegister

Guests can not chat

Are there any contries i can be a firefighter except U.K?

Not from the UK? tell us about firefighting, fire stations/houses, fire vehicles in your country
We would love to hear from you, especially if you are a retained/volunteer firefighter

Are there any contries i can be a firefighter except U.K?

Postby 2cool » 30 May 2011, 13:12

I have lived in Britain all my life, I was wondering if any services will accept people who have just moved over to the country or would be willing to? Would love to work somewhere like australia as a fireman - I think the majority of global fire services are only voluntary? :(
2cool
Probie
Probie

Re: Are there any contries i can be a firefighter except U.K

Postby micky » 30 May 2011, 13:35

i believe that in most services across the world you have to be a citizen of that country. Not all brigades across the world are voluntary, Australia, america, ect have both wholetime, retained and voluntary systems
micky

Postby 2cool » 02 Jun 2011, 15:23

micky wrote:i believe that in most services across the world you have to be a citizen of that country. Not all brigades across the world are voluntary, Australia, america, ect have both wholetime, retained and voluntary systems

thought that would be the case, thanks!
2cool
Probie
Probie

Postby pumper8032 » 12 Aug 2011, 10:01

Being from Australia I can fill you in, to become a wholetime firefighter you need to have residency, but don't have to be a citizen. We do at least 1 intake per year in my brigade, but can draw several drill squads from that. Obviously its is VERY competitive as it is anywhere. My state only has a handfull of retained, the rest are volunteers, as with most other states, New South Wales and Queensland have a large retained section, with several hundred stations, they also have volunteers, but unlike the other states their volunteers rarely do any urban jobs.

I work WT and volunteer (shhhh don't tell the union) and at my volunteer station we do everything, in fact we did 2 vehicle accident rescues today.

It all depends on where you want to live as to what opportunities there are for you.
pumper8032

Do work son!

Postby Fitz32 » 12 Aug 2011, 13:31

Surely most EU countries would have to take you? Dublin definitely takes British nationals.
Fitz32
First in....Last Out
First in....Last Out

Postby 80636JONES » 20 Oct 2011, 15:44

Fitz, you mentioned EU countires... as I grew up in Germany I can tell you they have national service as do most EU countries. In Germany this includes the Fire Service, Hospital workers and of cause the military as not everyone wants to be a soldier and can still be a pasifist while serving thier country.
This said to work as a WT firefighter in the EU you only need a valid UK passport and the abilty to speek the country of choices' language as we all know in moments of panic and ergency everyone reverts to there native tongue, therefor any country that has a high number people that can speak english such as firefighters you may want to work with will still speak there own lanuage when getting to work!
Failing that follow firefighter nation on twitter as they post US vacancies all the time and goodluck!
80636JONES

Postby Gasilec112 » 29 Jan 2016, 15:05

hay :smileaa: if anyone want to know how firefighters in Slovenia look like and how are they organised, here is the link where you can find all answers. :cool:

best regards from Slovenia :smiley:
Gasilec112
Probie
Probie

Postby Gasilec112 » 29 Jan 2016, 15:16

I forgot to copy link where you can get all answer about firefighters in Slovenia :hmmm: so, here is the link :smiley:

https://www.fiverr.com/mitjahrovat/tell ... 30825bb175
Gasilec112
Probie
Probie

Return to International Firefighting